Alongside my pharmaceutical career, I have been involved in the tennis world across Scotland and the UK for over twenty-six years starting in 1991 with David Lloyd and progressing through the ranks from Tennis Coach, to Head Tennis Coach, to Tennis Director. I then became Area Manager with Esporta Health and Fitness where I was integral to the planning and execution of highly successful business development growth strategy. Last year I helped Joseph Logan win the National Road to Wimbledon Event County Section. He was the winner for the UK in this section. I have also worked with West of Scotland player Connor Thompson and helped him win several ITF doubles events in 2017. He also managed to break into the GB team that year.
Coaching tennis part time has given me comprehensive experience and knowledge ranging from beginner to performance level but I now wish to go in to the tennis industry full-time.
Here are my more recent roles.
Oct 16 – Present South Lanarkshire Development Squads, Head Coach and Secretary
- Founded and Organised a new Initiative with Mike Cohen to implement junior coaching at a District Level. Also managed to secure £5000 funding with local partner. This helped subsidise and make indoor coaching more affordable. I also engaged a local group of South Lanarkshire coaches to help implement coaching.
Apr 10 – Present Cambuslang Lawn Tennis Club, Head Coach – Part Time
- Planning and implementation of Junior Programme
- Adult Coaching – Groups and Private Lessons ( Beginner to performance level)
- Running of the Tennis Teams in Leagues ( also carried out at Virgin Active Hamilton)
- Implementation of Tournaments
- Active Committee member
- Running local initiatives with local schools and councils
- Running of LTA Initiatives in conjunction with RDM
- Working with children at Performance level – U12s, U14s, U16s, U18s
Aug 99 – July 03 Esporta Health and Fitness – Area Tennis Manager and Head Coach
Based within offices in two of the largest private leisure and Tennis facilities in
Hamilton and Glasgow. Responsibilities
- Corporate liaison to secure sponsorship for Junior and Adult events in the UK and Europe
- Running and organising coach development workshops
- Preparation of weekly and monthly financial reviews
- Review of weekly, monthly and annual sales targets
- Preparation of monthly accounts, annual tax returns and insurance contributions
- Managing a twelve strong team of professionals
- Customer Service
- Corporate Hospitality
- Delivering a Coach Education Programme
- Planning and Implementation of a busy junior/adult tennis programme
- Linking in with local schools to drive local community initiatives
- Running and coordination of all Adult and Junior Teams